Does your business turnover exceed Rs. 40 lakhs* (Rs 10 lakhs for NE and hill states)? If Yes, then GST registration is not an option, it’s mandatory! If you’re new to GST and do not know where to get your GST registration done, this piece of content makes your life easy.
Here are the Steps to Complete your Business GST Registration Online in India:
Preliminary Step 1 – Check your eligibility to register under GST.
Who Should Register for GST?
Businesses whose turnover exceeds Rs. 40 lakhs* (Rs 10 lakhs for NE and hill states) is required to register under GST. This includes,
- A person registered under the Pre-GST law (i.e., Excise, VAT, Service Tax, etc.)
- Agents of a supplier & Input service distributor.
- Those paying tax under the reverse charge mechanism.
- A person who supplies via e-commerce aggregators like Amazon, Flipkart, etc.
- A person supplying online information and database access or retrieval services from a place outside India to a person in India, other than a registered taxable person.
Running such businesses without GST registration is an offense. Huge penalties will be applicable.
Preliminary Step 2 – Keep all your documents ready.
Documents Required for GST Registration
- PAN Card
- Aadhaar card
- Business registration document or Incorporation certificate
- Identity and Address proof of Business Owners with Photographs
- Address proof of the place of business
- Bank Account statement/Cancelled cheque
- Digital Signature
- Letter of Authorization/Board Resolution for Authorized Signatory
Step 2– Fill in the details
- Select New Registration
- In the drop-down under I am a – select Taxpayer
- Select State and District from the drop-down
- Enter the Name of the Business you want to register.
- Provide the PAN details of the business
- Type in your Email Address and Mobile Number.
- The registered email id and mobile number will receive the OTPs.
- Click on Proceed
Step 3 – Enter the OTP received on the email and mobile. Click on Continue. Click Resend OTP if you haven’t received any yet.
Step 4 – You will now see the Temporary Reference Number (TRN), note it down. This will also be sent to your email and mobile.
Step 5 – Once again go to GST portal. Click on Register Now.
Step 6 – This time, Select Temporary Reference Number (TRN). Enter the TRN and do the necessary to proceed.
Step 7 – You will receive an OTP on the registered mobile and email. Enter the OTP and click on Proceed
Step 8 -Status of your application will be displayed. Click on Blue Edit Icon.
Step 9 – Now, fill in all the details and submit appropriate documents.
Here is the list of documents you need to keep handy while applying for GST registration-
- Constitution of the taxpayer like partnership deed, Memorandum of Association (MOA) /Articles of Association (AOA), certificate of incorporation.
- Proof for the place of business
- Bank account details
- Authorization form
Step 10 – Once all the details are filled, go to the Verification page. Tick on the declaration and submit the application using any of the following ways –
- Companies must submit an application using DSC (Digital Signature Certificate)
- Using e-Sign – OTP will be sent to Aadhaar registered number
- Using EVC (Electronic Verification Code) – OTP will be sent to the registered mobile.
Step 11 – If GST Registration is successful, the message is displayed and Application Reference Number(ARN) will be sent to registered email and mobile.
You can also check the ARN status for your registration by entering the ARN in GST Portal.
Once you receive ARN, the GST officer will accept your application, following which you will get your GST number. All businesses that successfully register under GST are assigned a unique Goods and Services Tax Identification Number also known as GSTIN.
GST registration usually takes between 2-6 working days. If the officer wants any clarification, he will mention that and you will have to reply appropriately within 7 days. Following the officer’s satisfaction with your reply, the GST number GSTIN will be issued.
Stay updated about the Latest GST News on Vyaparapp.in.
Download the BEST Free Billing Software